Looking for the best payment gateway for your eCommerce store? WooCommerce has some of the top payment getaways that can be very useful for your eCommerce store.
Do you know that Payment gateway can affect your sales so drastically? Maybe you would have the least thought of Payment gateways as an important factor in affecting your sales.
It’s important to understand that having the right mix of payment gateways on your WooCommerce store will play a major role in generating revenue.
I have seen many store owners experiencing cart abandonment and lost sales just because of not using the right payment gateway.
In this article, we will see the best payment gateways for WooCommerce and also the plugins that will best integrate these payment methods into your WooCommerce shop.
How to Choose a Payment Gateway for your eCommerce store:
Before looking at the best WooCommerce payment gateways, let’s look at some of the important factors that need to be considered in choosing the right payment gateway.
- Every payment gateway will have a specific commission fee for every transaction. Make sure the fees don’t affect your profit margin.
- Make sure to check the compatibility of your payment gateway with WooCommerce and how easy it is.
- Does your payment gateway include your target customer’s preferred method of payment?
- Does your payment gateway include the location where most of your target customers are located? Some WooCommerce payment gateways may not cover certain countries. So it is essential that you will have an eye on this.
Now, let’s dive into the best WooCommerce payment gateways and the extensions that can be used to integrate it into your shop.
Stripe offers a complete online payment platform to help you grow your business. Millions of businesses around the world use Stripe and so does their customers and developers.
Stripe accepts all major debit and credit cards, as well as Apple Pay, Google Pay and other local payment methods such as Alipay, iDeal or SEPA Direct Debit.
2.9%+$0.30 for every Transaction
1.4% + $0.30 for European cards
Stripe is available for business in 36 countries currently including Australia, Canada, UK, US, France, etc.
Stripe supports processing payments in 135+ currencies
Stripe is PCI compliant and also requires users to have an SSL certificate installed.
The Stripe plugin for WooCommerce is an official free extension of WooCommerce that allows you to integrate the stripe payment gateway into your WooCommerce shop.
Why use the WooCommerce Stripe plugin?
- During checkout, the customers will stay on your store itself and will not be redirected to any external page. Many payments will redirect you to another website for payment which has proven to lead to lower conversion rates.
- Using the Stripe radar feature, you can detect and prevent fraud—even before it hits your business. Their radar will assign risk scores to every payment and automatically block many high-risk payments.
- Everyone who is processing any card data must comply with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS). Stripe has been tested by an independent PCI Qualified Security Assessor (QSA) and is certified as a PCI Level 1 Service Provider.
- Stripe supports recurring payments which makes it ideal if you’re using WooCommerce to sell digital services.
- It is optimized with Payment Request API to speed up the checkout for your customers on desktop and mobile.
Braintree is a PayPal service that was founded in 2007 and acquired by PayPal in 2013.
If you are looking for a payment solution that should not just accept PayPal payments but should allow for other options, Braintree would be the right pick for you.
PayPal, Venmo, All Credit/Debit cards, Local Payment methods plus the most relevant wallets like Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, etc.
1.9% + £0.20 for most transactions
Braintree currently supports more than 130 currencies.
Braintree is accepted in around 45 countries
Braintree provides enhanced security with advanced fraud prevention features
Why use the Braintree WooCommerce extension?
- One of the advantages of using Braintree over Paypal is that your revenue will directly go to your bank rather than your Paypal account.
- The plugin supports more than 130 currencies. You can use your native currency, or you can also add multiple merchant IDs to support multi-currency. But you need to use a currency switcher to use the multi-currency.
- Setup is very simple. You no need to enter any API keys to activate. All you have to do is just customize a few short text fields and you’re spot on.
- You can issue a partial or full refund from within the WooCommerce dashboard itself thus reducing your store management time.
- The plugin has 3D Secure version 2.0. You should enable this in your Braintree account.
Amazon Pay is the payment gateway owned by the well know eCommerce giant, Amazon.
Launched in 2007, Amazon Pay uses the consumer base of Amazon.com and focuses on giving users the option to pay with their Amazon accounts.
Accepted Payment methods:
Amazon Pay accepts credit and debit cards and transfers from your available Amazon Pay account balance. Credit cards currently accepted include Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, Diners Club, and JCB.
- 2.9% + $0.30 for domestic transactions
- 3.9% + $0.30 for cross-border transactions
Amazon Pay supports only 12 Currencies as of now such as AUD, GBP, DKK, EUR, HKD, JPY, NZD, NOK, ZAR, SEK, CHF, and USD.
Amazon Pay is currently only available in a few countries where there is Amazon service. They are the USA, UK, Germany, France, Italy, Ireland, Spain, Luxembourg, Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Netherlands, Sweden, Portugal, Hungary, Denmark, Japan.
Amazon offers PCI compliance and fraud protection for both the buyer and the merchant. They have also suggested some steps to protect your personal information and your account.
Amazon Pay WooCommerce
The Amazon Pay plugin for WooCommerce has been developed by WooCommerce itself that lets you accept Amazon payments directly on your store.
Why use Amazon Pay WooCommerce?
- Customers will stay in your store during the entire checkout process. They will not be redirected anywhere.
- With this plugin, your customers can check out on your store with payment and shipping information already stored in their Amazon account. When you add Pay with Amazon, anyone who has an Amazon account is ready to buy on your site.
- Customers no need to worry about currency conversion rates as it allows Multi-currency functionality.
- Amazon Pay plugin has inbuilt recovery mechanisms that will help you in reducing the number of the unsuccessful transaction.
PayPal is the oldest and the most powerful eCommerce payment solution that can be configured in any way that your business demands.
PayPal has currently over 184+ million active customer accounts around the globe. Truly PayPal is a legend when it comes to global payment gateways.
Accepted Payment methods:
PayPal allows you to make payments using a variety of methods including PayPal Cash or PayPal Cash Plus account balance, a bank account, PayPal Credit, debit or credit cards, and rewards balance
2.5% + $0.30 per transaction
PayPal currently accepts 25 currencies.
PayPal is available in over 200 countries.
Payment processing occurs on our secure servers so you don’t have to worry about handling sensitive payment information on your site.
WooCommerce PayPal Checkout
PayPal checkout is the latest free extension developed by WooCommerce.
Using PayPal checkout, you can allow your customers to pay with PayPal or any major credit or debit card without ever leaving your site.
Why use the WooCommerce PayPal Checkout gateway?
- Customers could pay directly from product and shopping cart pages.
- Customers could use PayPal even without a PayPal account.
- Smart payment buttons feature is available for US customers alone which will present them additional options for payment like Venmo, PayPal credit, etc.
- You can give your buyers an awesome checkout experience using their One TouchTM checkout feature which eliminates the need for PayPal customers to enter a password or card details for up to six months.
- It is completely customizable. You can customize the button shape, size, color, and layout.
Authorize.net is yet another oldest payment gateway for credit card payments.
It was founded in 1996 by Jeff Knowles and continues to grow strong until today. But the primary focus of Authorize.net is small to medium-sized businesses.
Accepted Payment methods:
Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, JCB, PayPal, Visa SRC, Apple Pay, Chase Pay, E-check
- The account fee is $25 per month
- The transaction fee is +2.9% + 30¢
USD, CAD, CHF, DKK, EUR, GBP, NOK, PLN, SEK, AUD, NZD
United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Europe, and Australia
Authorize.net is one of the safest gateways out there and in compliance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS).
ELEX Authorize.net Payment Gateway for WooCommerce
This is a free plugin that has been developed by the ELEX team lets you accept credit card payments securely.
Using this plugin, your customers never have to leave your website for making payments.
Why use ELEX Authorize.net Payment Gateway for WooCommerce?
- The plugin lets you accept payment from all major cards like Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB, Diner’s Club, etc.
- You can choose to either only authorize the payment or authorize and capture the payments concurrently. The plugin will capture the payment details as soon as the payment is made on the Checkout page.
- Using their Redirection URL feature, you can redirect your customers to the desired page(like a thank you page) once the Checkout is successful.
- They have an Authorize.net overview page that gives you a consolidated overview of Authorize.Net payments that allows you to capture payments and process refunds in a single click.
- The plugin is WPML Compatible.
- Pro version – $59 for a single-site subscription
Apple Pay offers an easy, secure, and private way to pay on the iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac.
Though Apple Pay is only for Apple users, it is growing faster than any other payment system.
Here are some of the stats about Apple Pay:
As per Digital trends, Apple Pay is currently supported by 65% of US retail locations and growing quickly.
As per Statista, 82% of North American retailers are expected to accept Apple Pay by 2020.
Accepted Payment methods:
Depending on your country or region, Apple Pay works with Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, Interac, EFTPOS, China Union Pay, JCB, Suica, the iD and QUICPay networks, and most card issuers and payment providers.
Apple pay is supported in 40+ countries
Apple charges 0.15% per transaction on US purchases
WooCommerce Apple Pay
Apple Pay for WooCommerce is currently enabled via Stripe payments.
Hope you find our best WooCommerce Payment Gateway -2020 useful. Which gateway do you use and which plugin have you used to integrate it on your WooCommerce Store?
Tell us in the comments section.