Table Rate Shipping is a method of using various product and order details like price, weight, size, location, etc to calculate the available shipping methods and cost. If you sell products of different sizes, weight or variations, it would not be practical to have a flat rate shipping. This is the case where you need Table Rate Shipping.
What is Flat Rate Shipping?
In case you are new to ecommerce, flat rate shipping means you pay the same amount for shipping irrespective of what and how much you order.
What is Table Rate Shipping?
Table Rate Shipping is the method of calculating shipping cost by using multiple product and order details.
What is a Shipping Class?
A Shipping Class is a classification system to indicate / group products that are similar for shipping. For example, you can create a class called Small to indicate small items, a class called Medium and a class called Large to indicate respective size of the products. The classes are created to differentiate them for shipping difficulty, cost, etc.
You could also create a class called Fragile which would require a more secure shipping method.
What is a Shipping Zone?
Here are some of the best Table Rate Shipping plugins for your Woocommerce store:
Table Rate Shipping by Woocommerce
This is the official Table Rate Shipping developed and supported by Woocommerce themselves. It costs around $99 and it is billed annually. This plugin extends the default Woocommerce shipping feature and gives you advanced highly customisable options making it very flexible. This plugin was released on 2011-09-27 and it is being constantly updated so far.
- Can define multiple shipping rates based on shipping zones. Wildcards can be used to match multiple regions. For example, its easy to create a Shipping Zone called Rest of the World and match it to a Table Rate Shipping. Thus, you have a International Shipping setup.
- Many different types of table rates: per order, per line, per item, per shipping class
- Rules based on Price, Weight, Number of items, Number of items per class
- Intuitive interface to add, duplicate and edit table rates
- You can add labels to your Shipping
- Set Min/Max values to your entire shipping cost of the cart or per item
- Add Tax status to shipping. This way even your shipping cost will be added to the taxable price.
YITH Product Shipping for Woocommerce
YITH is a popular brand for Woocommerce extensions. Their Product Shipping for Woocommerce plugin comes with an amazing list of features to customise your shipping options, pricing, etc.
- Create custom shipping rules and assign different costs to different rules
- Display shipping cost information for each product on your checkout page
- Choose categories and tags to link shipping rules
- Check total quantity and total cost before applying shipping rules
- Create shipping rules by country
- Prioritise order to the shipping rules, so if 2 rules conflict, then the higher one is applied
- Product level shipping rules
- Show custom messages on product page
- User role based shipping cost
- Make shipping cost taxable
- WPML multi-lingual plugin integration. You can add translations to your shipping messages / labels.
- $79.99 for single site
- $139.99 for 6 sites ( 5 * $69 = $479.94. You save $340 )
- $189.99 for 30 sites ( 25 * $69 = $2399.7. You save $2210 )
Woocommerce Table Rate Shipping Pro Plugin
The Woocommerce Table Rate Shipping Pro Plugin is developed and support by PluginHive. The plugin helps you setup a complex set of rules, if these rules match the cart of your customer, then the rates as specified by the rules are applied.
- Unlimited Shipping Rate Rules: You can create an unlimited number of rules and apply it to Woocommerce Shipping Classes or Woocommerce Shipping Zones or other criteria.
- Supports Table Rate and Flat Rate Shipping Based on
- Product / Order Weight
- Product Quantity in Cart
- Total Price of all products in the cart
- Product Categories
- Woocommerce Shipping Classes
- Woocommerce Shipping Zones
- Destination Country
- Destination Address fields such as City and States
- Different Zip Codes
- Bulk Import / Export Shipping Rules using CSV: Useful if you are just being safe or if you a migrating your site or just the Shipping rules to be used on another website.
- Per Product Shipping using free addon
- Set Bundle Rate Shipping using free addon
- WPML Support: WPML is the best WordPress translating plugin. You can use it along with Woocommerce Table Rate Shipping Pro to translate your shipping information displayed on your cart.
Pricing: The price is for the product, support & updates for 1 year. After the year is completed, you will have to pay again for support and updates.
- $69 for single site
- $99 for 5 sites ( 5 * $69 = $345. You save $246 )
- $199 for 25 sites ( 25 * $69 = $1725. You save $1526 )
Woocommerce Table Rate Shipping by Jem
Touted as the Ultimate Woocommerce Table Rate Shipping, this plugin by Jem Products is focussed on product tiered shipping management. There is a free and a pro version.
- Unlimited amount of shipping zones and rates: Each business is different, this flexibility lets your shipping rate match your business plan.
- Tiered Pricing: Tiered Pricing can be useful to reduce the pricing rates to a manageable size if you have a large list of variations.
- Location based rates: Setup rates based on city, country, etc.
- Shipping class based pricing: Makes it easier to price based on Fragile products, electronics, etc.
- Shipping Rate based on item
- Shipping Rate by weight
- Handling Fee option
- Support via contact form
- Multiple Shipping method
- Ability to restrict Shipping Rates to Minimum, Maximum or Sum.
- Hide Shipping Methods based on products in the cart
- Change the Shipping Method Label based on items in the cart
- Change Shipping Order using Drag and Drop
Price is for 1 year of support and updates.
- $49 – Single Site
- $149 – 5 Site License
- $399 – Concierge Service. This involves Installation and Setup of WordPress website with the plugin and configuration as you want it. Its a time saver if you are new to WordPress. You will be provided with the plugin license also.
Tree Table Rate Shipping
The Tree Table Rate Shipping Plugin is a powerful rule-based shipping plugin for Woocommerce.
- Shipping Classes: Specific cost by shipping classes
- Shipping Zones: Specific cost by shipping zones
- International Shipping: Different cost for International Shipping
- Flat Rate Box Shipping: List boxes, envelops, etc and add their cost to shipping
- Weight-based Shipping
- Free and Flat Rate Shipping
- Advanced Destination Targeting
- Different Processing Modes: per-item, per-product, tag / class / category mode.
- Handling Fees: You can add a flat fee, percentage fee or sub-percentage fee for Handling.
- Multiple Delivery Options: You can add delivery options like standard / express, courier service / regular delivery / local pickup, fragile shipments, shipping insurance.
- Third Party Plugins Integrations: DHL, UPS, Fedex, USPS and more: You can use the External Rates options to get the rates from these integrations
- $39 – single site of one year of updates and support
Woocommerce Table Rate Shipping Plus by MangoHour
The Woocommerce Table Rate Shipping Plus Plugin is used by over 12,000 Woocommerce stores. This plugin was available for free in WordPress.org and also the plus version via their website. This plugin is now removed from WordPress repository and the plus version was last updated in 2018. This is no longer recommended.
- Multiple Delivery Options
- Create Shipping Zones based on Countries, States and Post Codes
- Shipping Classes
- Tiered Cost
- Percentage, Per Item, Weight based rates
- Multiple Calculation Methods
- Tax / VAT Support
- Handling Fees
- Easy Backups and Migration
Note: This plugin is now removed from WordPress repository.
Shipping is an important part of your ecommerce business. Make sure to get a plugin that suits your shipping needs, has good support and works robustly. Spend good money on the right tools that push your business forward and upholds your brand values. That’s a good business decision.