If you run a WooCommerce-based store, whether independently or as a part of your existing local business, you must be looking for ways to increase sales. Think of the rewards you offer to loyal customers or discounts for first-time buyers. All of it is intended to grow your business. But these are not the only ways to follow the path of growth.
A smart way you can follow to improve sales on your WooCommerce store is to offer memberships to your targeted audience. The best example for this is Amazon.com, the largest eCommerce company in this world has a membership plan called Amazon Prime Membership and they give special offers like Free Shipping, Special Discounts, Exclusive Deals, and other added benefits.
Under the membership plan, you can offer the same products on your store at a special price, along with faster delivery to their doorsteps. This is particularly useful at the start of your online business to create a loyal customer base or at the time of launching new products, restricting a range of specific products for members only. Also, you can create a site to sell memberships like a gym membership with WooCommerce.
Before moving on to some of the best WooCommerce membership plugins, let’s talk about why you should offer memberships on your site.
Benefits of Offering WooCommerce Memberships
Memberships work as an attractive element on a WooCommerce portal that often leads to a higher conversion rate. They are advantageous for your business in several ways.
Higher Sales and ROI (Return on Investment)
By asking the site visitors to pay for getting access to the membership plans, you pave the way for a stream of recurring income, other than the regular sales on your site. To continue getting the benefits under the plans, they must renew their memberships with time.
Email List Building
Email marketing forms an integral part of online marketing for all WooCommerce stores, big or small. With membership plans on your site, you open another avenue of adding more loyal users to your email list, who will most likely respond/get converted with your email marketing campaigns.
Improvement in Market Reputation
Creating membership functionality for your WooCommerce site also shows your willingness to offer products with maximum benefits for the customers. Over time, this will establish your brand as an authority in the specific market niche.
List of the Best WooCommerce Memberships Plugins – Both Free and Paid
Setting up memberships plan for your WooCommerce store becomes easier with the right choice of a membership plugin. These plugins function as an all-inclusive solution to help you grow your business. They are based on clean code and are easy to configure/manage. Since there is a wide range of WooCommerce memberships plugin available in the market, it is crucial to know about their specific features and benefits to make an informed decision.
Best Premium WooCommerce Membership Plugins
Since you’re planning to earn from creating memberships to earn money you should mind spending money on premium WooCommerce membership plugins. Here are the best plugins available:
WooCommerce Memberships By Skyverge
As an easy-to-use membership solution, the WooCommerce Memberships plugin has been designed to bring your online shop and membership plans together. It is one of the best plugins based on its configuration and ease of management. You can create a membership system specific to your online business.
The best part is that membership plans you create will be independent of the products on your site, which allows you to set guidelines for product access. For instance, you can either assign any number of products to a plan or offer memberships to the invite-only members. This WooCommerce Membership plugin’s development is maintained in GitHub if you have programming knowledge you can make use of it.
WooCommerce Memberships and Subscriptions
Though it is a stand-alone plugin if you want recurring billing (i.e., monthly payments) you can integrate it with the WooCommerce Subscriptions plugin to allow you to offer time-based memberships (monthly, yearly subscriptions, etc.,). You can restrict accessibility, both viewing or purchase, to WooCommerce products so that only members can access them. Other benefits of this integration include offering free trials, the facility for members to pause, upgrade, or downgrade memberships.
Also See: the other WooCommerce Subscription plugins
Primary Features of WooCommerce Memberships plugin:
- Allows to sell memberships as a stand-alone product or as a part of the product purchase by creating a membership system
- Manual assignment/editing of memberships
- Drip content facility to schedule when the members should have access to some specific products
- Restrict viewing or purchasing of products on your site
- Better control over shipping settings to offer free shopping to the members only
- Easy to import or export members
- Membership notes to help you communicate with the members
- Shortcodes to display a directory of members on the site ( [wcm_directory] ) and various attributes (plans, status, per_page, blos, and avatars) to modify the directory output
WooCommerce Membership by RightPress
Next to selling memberships on your WooCommerce store, one crucial aspect is to manage the members-only area of your website. For instance, you would want to restrict access to the posts, pages, and products to the members only. For such needs, this plugin has the required features.
Using the WooCommerce Membership plugin, you can sell online memberships on your online store based on WooCommerce. There is no restriction on the count of membership plans you can create. You get the facility to add or remove the members using the plugin interface and link one plan to another so that the members can get access automatically. If you want to check it out before you by it you can try their membership demo site.
Primary Features of WooCommerce Membership plugin:
- Easy to set the delay to activate the linked plan and create content drip feed
- Quick conversion of any simple or variable WooCommerce product to a membership product
- Can manage WooCommerce membership registrations and their access from the dashboard
- Plan expiration date setting
- Restricted access to the products, posts, pages, or even custom post-types
- Bulk editing of posts/pages
- Shortcodes for access control
YITH WooCommerce Membership
User-based availability of products to your site’s members is yet another way to increase the ROI. For instance, you sell WooCommerce products to a wide variety of customers, each with their specific needs. To ensure a seamless buying experience to them all, you need to manage to create various plans, independent payments, and content release. All of this can be best handled using the YITH WooCommerce Membership plugin.
It has been conceived and designed to simplify the hassles related to the management of reserved products for members only. It works well with pages, posts, products, videos, and other WooCommerce files. There is a demo site to see how the membership works and you can even launch an Admin demo to see the backend.
Primary Features of YITH WooCommerce Membership:
- No limit to the memberships you can create for the users
- Time limit setting for specific content types
- Interlinking of multiple membership plans
- Easy to edit contents of various plans
- Messages widget to allow users to contact you
- Modification history for the changes made in any plan
- Redirections for unauthorized access to content
- Customizable content for mailers specific to the memberships
- Plugin subscription available for up to 30 sites
MemberPress is an all-in-one membership and subscription plugin for WordPress. It helps to create, manage, and track membership & subscriptions and also allows to sell digital download products. Hindrances faced while integrating various plugins to your site often makes people look for other plugins. But if you try MemberPress you may not want to try anything else.
If you want to create a shop for your membership site or if you want to create members for your eCommerce store you can use MemberPress and WordPress together. MemberPress will work with WordPress user roles. For quick and easy experience to build WooCommerce membership sites, MemberPress plugin can help you out. Whether it is about securing credit card details, controlling access to the content, or sell products online, you can do it all using this plugin on your WooCommerce site.
Primary Features of MemberPress plugin:
- You can easily grant access or revoke access to your members to posts, pages, videos, categories, tags, feeds, communities, digital files and many more based on what memberships they belong to
- Easy to restrict access to specific products
- Restrict access to the checkout page but making products available for viewing
- It has Integration with many 3rd-party services such as Mailchimp, Zapier, AffiliateWP, Amazon Web Services, ConvertKit, ActiveCampaign, Stripe, and many others
Free WooCommerce Membership Plugins
There are some free plugins that can help you create a WooCommerce membership site and you can later upgrade to their premium version if you want.
If you run a multi-vendor marketplace, your business needs are different from that of an online store. Add memberships functionality to your site requires a plugin that has been designed for such specific needs. WCFM Membership plugin is there to handle such aspects of your business. It facilitates setting up unlimited membership levels with distinct pricing structure and capabilities.
Primary Features of WCFM Membership plugin:
- Works well with marketplace add-ons like WC Vendors, Dokan Lite, and WooCommerce Multivendor Marketplace
- Configurable to offer free as well as paid memberships
- PayPal integration to handle paid membership payments securely
- Best suited for both one time and recurring memberships
- Easy to configure different commission structure for each membership
- Multilingual support
Paid Memberships Pro
As an all-inclusive membership management plugin, Paid Memberships Pro comes with various tools and features to help you create, manage, and sell memberships on your WooCommerce site. It has been designed to offer subscription products where users can select a plan and purchase it to become the members of your online store. You can enjoy full control over the range of products that members can see. Using this plugin, you can allow the members to log in to their accounts, check and update payment information, and even cancel their account.
Paid Memberships Pro – WooCommerce Add On
This plugin comes with a free WooCommerce add-on that allows it to fully integrate with WooCommerce plugin that allows you to sell membership as a product (with recurring subscriptions) or offer members-only discounts in your shop. You could also offer custom pricing and a special discount for members based on their membership level.
Primary Features of Paid Memberships Pro plugin:
- Easy to set up and customize
- Integration with popular payment gateways, such as Stripe and PayPal
- Import and export of members or orders data
- Custom post types and default content restrictions
Best known as a user profile and membership plugin, Ultimate Member makes it easier to allow user registration on your site. It can be used to develop advanced online communities and membership sites. Being lightweight and extendible, it enables front-end user registration and log-in with the utmost ease.
It is different from other plugins in this list because it is not used for creating memberships but for creating a community kind of website with special user profiles.
Primary Features of Ultimate Member plugin:
- Custom form fields with conditional logic and user roles
- Drag and drop form builder
- Conditional navigation menus
- Administrative and general permissions
- Advanced member directories
Paid Member Subscriptions
As a robust WordPress membership plugin, Paid Member Subscriptions is a complete package that allows you to manage members, create subscriptions, and accept payments from the members to provide access to the premium content. Being a lightweight plugin, it works perfectly well with WordPress websites.
Some of its primary features of Paid Member Subscriptions:
- Access control over who can purchase or view products
- Easy to set up on Elementor membership sites
- Shortcodes to set up user logins
- Membership module for content restriction based on login status
- Easy to accept, manage, and reconcile membership payments
- Easy to create hierarchical membership plans, thus giving the users options to upgrade their plans over time
- Easy to configure with subscriptions with/without asking for a signup fee
- Supports a wide range of basic add-ons like bbPress, Discount Codes, email reminders, and many others
- Pro add-ons available with the PRO version, such as Group Memberships, PayPal Express, Stripe Gateway, Content Dripping, and Invoices
Paid Memberships Pro
When it is about the ease of creating a membership site using WordPress, Paid Memberships Pro plugin is nothing less than the best. This powerful plugin comes with a dedicated theme for store customization and allows you to set unlimited membership levels. In terms of flexibility, Paid Memberships Pro is quite advanced, allowing you to set payment options, billing cycles, free trial periods, recurring payments, and more.
Some of its primary features are:
- Simplified member management
- Easy to set content restrictions for non-members
- Easy integration with third-party payment gateways, including Stripe, PayPal, Braintree, Authorize.net, etc.
- Advertising options to displays ads only to specific membership levels
- Restrictions for custom post types
- Restrictions for single pages
- Easy to allow the members to search public or members-only directories, thus helping to create community sites
- Ease of collecting user fields based on membership levels
- Easy to configure membership levels at different pricing structures
The particular needs of running an e-commerce store are slightly different from a multi-vendor marketplace. For such needs, you need WCFM Membership – a WooCommerce plugin designed exclusively for such needs. It can help you handle a multi-vendor store easily with an easy setting of unlimited membership levels, each having a unique pricing plan. It works well with most of the marketplace add-ons, such as WC Vendors, WC Vendors PRO, Dokan Lite, Dokan PRO, and WooCommerce Product Vendors.
The primary features of WCFM Membership plugin are:
- Quick and easy integration with different payment gateways
- Best suited for both one-time and recurring memberships
- Multilingual support
- Easy to configure commission structure at different membership levels
- Comprehensive dashboard for vendors contain complete details of their memberships
- Customizable Thank You page
- Easy to offer both free and paid memberships.
- Flexibility to ask vendors to pay for product addition
WooCommerce Membership Plugins – Comparison Table
|Paid||WooCommerce Memberships By Skyverge||
|WooCommerce Memberships & Subscriptions||
|WooCommerce Membership by RightPress||
|YITH WooCommerce Membership||
|Free||WCFM Membership (Multivendor)||
|Paid Memberships Pro||
|Paid Member Subscriptions||
|Paid Memberships Pro||
What to Look for While Selecting a WooCommerce Membership Plugin
Each type of membership site requires a specific set of features that can be added with the use of suitable plugins. For WooCommerce site, the choice of the plugins should be based on the following parameters:
Ease of Installation and Use
If you are not good at coding skills, you would want to choose a plugin that is easy to use. In the plugin marketplace, you may find a ton of complex plugins having features that you will never need on your WooCommerce site. Similarly, others are lightweight and have the necessary features to sell products under the membership plans. In general, you are advised to choose a plugin that is easy to manage and configure.
Compatibility with the Site Theme and Existing Plugins
Incompatible plugins often result in website performance issues. As with all the WooCommerce plugins out there, it is crucial to choose membership plugins that do not interfere in the functionality supported by various other plugins installed on your site.
With an array of WooCommerce memberships plugins available in the market, the right selection must be based on your specific needs. Keep in mind that there would be no benefit of investing in a plugin that comes with a myriad of features you do not need for your site at all.